Date: September 25, 2015
Location: Weber State University
Sheperd Union, 4th Floor, Room 404/ Skyroom
3910 West Campus Drive Ogden, UT 84408
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Presenters: Heather Fellows, MTBC and Heather Stephenson, MS, CMHC, RPT
Cost: $85 Professionals | $50 for UAPT Members | $35 for Students
1. Participants will learn the history of music therapy and understand the theories behind music therapy.
2. Participants will understand the difference between using music therapeutically as a board certified music therapist and the use of music in play therapy. (Scope of practice)
3. Participants will learn the importance of choosing appropriate music in therapy and how to apply the ISO principle.
4. Participants will learn how to use music in group work and with the specific mental health issues of depression, PTSD, and anxiety.
5. Participants will learn specific interventions to use with individuals in play therapy.
Heather Fellows Bio: Heather Fellows graduated from Utah State University in 2000 after completing an internship at Twin Valley Psychiatric System in Columbus Ohio. She started her career at Sequoia Hospital in Redwood City, CA where she developed a music therapy program for the acute rehab and subacute geriatric units of the hospital. Heather started a private contracting business in CA, working with various populations including geriatric, children with developmental disabilities, and psychiatric. She also worked PRN at Langley Porter Psychiatric Institute on the University of California at San Francisco campus. For the last 5 years, Heather has been working full time for University of Utah Hospital’s medical psychiatric unit, 5 West. She is invested in providing quality, evidence based music therapy treatment for her patients and in advocating for education and growth of music therapy. Heather enjoys spending time with her husband and three children, singing, cooking, running, and reading.
Heather Stephensons Bio: Heather Stephenson graduated with her bachelors in Psychology from Utah State University in 2001. After taking some time off to start a family she went back to school and received her Masters in Counseling from the University of Phoenix in 2009. It was during her master’s program that she learned about play therapy and began to work on her RPT. She finished up her RPT requirements in 2012 and began serving on the Utah Play Therapy Board in 2013. She is the current Vice President and President Elect of the board. Heather has been in private practice for 6 years in Logan, Utah and enjoys working with a variety of clientele. In her spare time she enjoys spending time with her family and engaging in various fitness activities.
6 CEU’s and APT credits
Register on site at 8:30 – On Site Registration $15 extra