StoryPlay Therapy with Joyce Mills – September 20 & 21, 2019 (Registration open soon)
September 20 - September 21
StoryPlay® Therapy: Metaphors, Play, and Creativity for Helping Children Discover Their Rainbows Within
September 20 & 21st, 2019
Presented by Joyce C. Mills, Ph.D
Founder of StoryPlay® Global, award-winning Play Therapist, author of eight books, and considered an expert in metaphorical interventions, Dr. Joyce Mills is an internationally recognized storyteller, consultant, workshop leader, program development specialist, and keynote speaker to medical, psychological, and educational organizations. With “resiliency” and “creativity” at its heart, Dr. Mills developed StoryPlay®, a new Ericksonian Indirective model of Play Therapy helping children, adults, families, and communities heal from trauma and disaster. In addition to her training programs, Dr. Mills is the director of The StoryPlay® Training Center in Phoenix, Arizona, Co-Director of the Phoenix Institute of Ericksonian Therapy. Dr. Mills is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, and a registered Play Therapy Supervisor. Her books include: Therapeutic Metaphors for Children and the Child Within (Second Edition); Reconnecting to the Magic of Life; Butterfly Wisdom; Little Tree, Gentle Willow; and Sammy the Elephant and Mr. Camel.
Award-winning Co-Author of Therapeutic Metaphors for Children and the Child Within
2014 – AZ Association for Play Therapy for “Distinguished Service” award during their 19th Annual State Conference in Phoenix Arizona.
2014 – Paris France – “Lifelong work and contributions to the field of multicultural hypnotherapy.”
1997 for an outstanding contribution to the field of Child Psychotherapy and Play Therapy. Awarded by Play Therapy International.
Recipient of the 1997 Annual Play Therapy International Award for an
“Outstanding career contribution to the field of child psychology & play therapy.”
Children and adolescents often come to us with fractured, broken lives leaving them feeling hopeless and seriously troubled. Their gifts and inner resources get shrouded by the challenges, hurts, and pains they have endured.
With Dr. Erickson’s philosophies as the taproot, along with Indigenous teachings, and the innovative approaches of Dr. Joyce Mills, this experiential workshop will provide participants with the key elements of the resiliency-focused model of StoryPlay®, that draws upon the nature inner resources, skills, and strengths of each child, adolescent, adult or family member that transforms the broken pieces into a beautiful new design for their lives.
With the power and spirit of therapeutic storytelling, metaphors, and play at its center, each element of the StoryPlay® approach will provide participants with culturally respectful, hands-on, creative tools and activities for working with difficult or traumatized clients. Additionally, each element in this workshop can be applied in a variety of settings; i.e., individual, family, group, classroom, and hospital and can be effectively utilized with specialized populations or situations, such as natural and man-made disasters, PTSD, abuse, ADHD, sensory disregulation, and grief and loss.
- GOALS & COURSE OBJECTIVES: The participant will be able to:
- Recognize the importance utilizing stories when developing respectful multicultural communication.
- Name the “taproot” of StoryPlay®.
- Define three essential elements of the StoryPlay® model.
- Identify an overview of neuro-importance of play & storytelling for healthy brain development.
- Utilize one out of three Mindful Meditations for sensory regulation.
- Create and utilize therapeutic Real-life & Made up Storytelling Metaphors in play therapy.
- Learn three StoryCraft play therapy activities that facilitate natural healing
- Utilize the Artistic Metaphor – “Inner Resource Drawings” to effect resiliency-focused change.
- Identify and utilize the “out-of-conscious” sensory system for creating sensory balance and regulation with clients.
- Recognize how to utilize the elements of our natural ecology as co-therapists in the quest for transformative healing solutions.
- Create & integrate Living Metaphors to facilitate on-going healing outside of the playroom.
- Co-create Therapeutic Rituals with clients in play therapy for celebration of an accomplishment & grief and loss.
Day One 8:30 am
The Spirit of Healing: Moving Beyond Diagnosis in Play Therapy
- Play, imagination, and story: The multicultural language of children
- Six Roots of StoryPlay®
- Bowl of Light Story & Exercise
- Nine Essential Elements of StoryPlay
- Neuro-plasticity & Resilience
- Accessing Inner Resources in the First Session
- Interspersed Suggestions for facilitating positive change
- Therapeutic Metamorphosis: a four-stage process for healing and change
Exercise: Butterfly Mandala
Mindfulness Meditation: Breathing-relaxation & sensory-regulation exercises:
- Magic Happy Breath
- Heartsong Meditation
- Quiet River Meditation
Storytelling Metaphors: The doorway for effective communication and resiliency.
- How storytelling affects the brain
- Neuro-science and metaphor
- Nature as co-storyteller: You can’t yell at seeds to grow
- Building Bridges: How do I begin?
- Storytelling Exercise: utilizing real life & made-up/myth in play therapy
1pm – Natural Healing Activities: story-crafts for individual, family and community healing
- Definition and application
- Slides showing how StoryPlay Therapy is used in individual, classroom, and community applications
- Life-Story Puzzle
- Storyteller Puppet
- The Star Who You Are – “What’s Your Twinkle”
3-4pm (Continued) Natural Healing Activities: story-crafts for individual, family and community healing
- Identity Shield
- Surfing Your Waves
- Dreaming Pots
4-4:30 – Closure – Questions & Feedback
Day Two: 8:30 am
Sensory synchronicity – Restoring Sensory Regulation
- Identifying and utilizing sensory strengths
- Retrieving and using blocked sensory systems in play therapy
10:45 am -12pm – Artistic Metaphors – Creative strategies for Awakening the Inner Resources Within
- Definition & Philosophy
- Case presentations to include children’s art in play therapy for healing and change
Inner Resource drawing exercise: Three steps transforming problems to solutions
Resource Board Game – children
Pathway to Success Map – adolescents
Collage of Determination
12 – 1 pm Lunch
1 pm – 4:30 – Living and Therapeutic Ritual Metaphors
- Purpose, framework and use in play therapy.
- How to create a peace garden: a healing ritual for children, families, and communities.
- Case examples demonstrating application to include: abuse, rites of passage, reunification, celebrations, death and dying.
- Creating a Living Metaphor
- Creating a Ritual
Closing Story & Ritual