Digital Play Therapy: A Clinician’s Guide to Comfort and Competence for COVID and Beyond – Live Webinar – November 20, 2020
November 20 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Digital Play Therapy: A clinician’s guide to comfort and competence for COVID and beyond
Presenter: Jessica Stone, Ph.D., RPT-S
November 20, 2020
9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
This presentation focuses on the responsible integration of digital tools in play therapy, the importance of speaking the client’s language, honoring the client’s culture, and the incorporation of the therapist 4Cs: Competence, Comfort, Culture, and Capability during the COVID pandemnic and beyond. The inclusion of these tools is to be seen as an “and”: we can use our traditional items AND include digital tools in person and through telehealth. Whether the participant is a “technoskeptic” or a “technoneccisist”, this course will guide the participant through the fundamental tenets of the modality of Digital Play Therapy (DPT). Grounded in Prescriptive Play Therapy and the Therapeutic Powers of Play, a structure for the appropriate use and integration of digital tools will be discussed. Inclusion and accessibility are critical aspects of DPT and the well-rounded therapist will benefit from understanding this important topic in more depth. There is therapeutic value in the discussion of your client’s interests, in the knowledge of such interests, entering their world and culture, and the inclusion of digital tools in play therapy. Digital play therapy is not about jumping on some trendy bandwagon; it is about appropriately incorporating cultural shifts and having a foundation for such inclusion. There is room for many different grounded modalities and approaches under the play therapy umbrella and this presentation invites everyone in to find out more.
Agenda: 3 hours
1. Introduction 10 min
2. What is digital play therapy? 20 min
3. Prescriptive and Therapeutic Powers of Play 20 min
4. 4 C’s of digital play therapy 20 min
5. Setup and telehealth 10 min
6. 10 min break
7. Games and examples 30 min
8. Experiential break out rooms and process 30 min
9. More games 20 min
10. Q & A 10 min
1. Explain one component of the prescriptive nature of digital play therapy.
2. Identify at least one Therapeutic Power of Play’s core agent of change
3. Describe the therapeutic properties of at least one iPad, Nintendo Switch, OR computer online program.
4. Identify at least 2 types of clientele who would potentially benefit from the use of digital play therapy.
5. Identify at least 2 of the 4 C’s of digital play therapy.
6. Describe how the Therapeutic Powers of Play graphic can be used to write clinical notes.
Due to COVID-19 health concerns, this one-time online event has been approved by APT for 3 CONTACT CE Hours
APT approved provider #98-036
UAPT reserves the right to cancel this conference in the event of unforeseen circumstances. If such occurs, UAPT will attempt to notify registrants at least 10 calendar days prior to the conference and refund all registration, workshop, continuing education fees.